Friday, December 7, 2007

Where the Heck did Hank Come From?

I got the idea for A Trip to the Redbox when I was standing in line at my local redbox. I was standing there watching the guy in front of me (who, as far as I can remember, was not a jerk at all) get his movie and I started thinking about how funny it would be if I grabbed his movie before he did and chucked it as far as I could and then took off running. The sheer absurdity of that idea made me chuckle inside.


That's what I imagined Hank doing when I started writing his story. But the more I wrote about Hank and the closer I got to the part where he watched the muscle-bound guy in front of him get his movie, the more I realized how untrue that ending would be. So instead of letting Hank have the Napoleon Dynamite ending that I initially imagined I gave him the true ending and that felt a lot better to me.


***
Oh yeah. In case you haven't noticed, I can't seem to decide whether or not to capitalize the name redbox. The official company logo is uncapitalized. Nevertheless, it's a proper noun, so seventh grade grammar demands that when I include it in what I'm writing about I capitalize it. Now I know why my wife gets so upset everytime she sees a proper noun that isn't capitalized.

1 comment:

Kami said...

Tim, you should have chucked it. Hee. Hee.